Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Wedding Party: Recap

Tonight we went to the wedding party. It was a nice sentiment. Basically there were about a million people stuffed into three rooms at the MD Historical Society Something or Other. And in the middle of the three rooms was a huge table with fruit and crab dip. There were several people that we knew- mostly fellow musicians that the man knew better than I did. I was introduced to the bride and I must admit that she didn't do a great job of hiding her lack of enthusiasm for meeting me. No worries, though, the feeling was mutual.

All modesty aside, I must say that I looked pretty good tonight. I don't say that very often about myself, mind you. The funny thing was that I was a complete disaster. But for some reason it worked.

I never dress up anymore. I'm a total T-shirt and jeans kind of girl who now, because of my line of work, is more of a T-shirt and sweats kind of girl. I never blow dry my hair, wear makeup, accessorize or primp. I don't even own a pair of real high heels- I only own a few heeled boots and some wedge sandals. So when the day before this wedding party I realized I had no clue what to wear, I panicked ever so slightly.

But a trip to Kohl's (my bff) produced this:

It fit beautifully. I'm not very tall, and this dress came down to just below my knee, which is usually not very flattering for me because I have big calves. But something about this dress worked. It wasn't too tight anywhere, and it wasn't too big anywhere. I couldn't find any flaws in it...and I'm very hard on myself!

So what people couldn't tell about me and this dress: First, I couldn't figure out how the tie worked. I've had dresses that tie in the back before but something was different about this one. It looked like it tied in the front so that's how I wore it. The tie was really long and it kept getting all caught up in my legs when I sat down. Then when I just looked up the dress to get the photo for this post, I saw that it should have been in the back. Oh well. Secondly, this is what I was wearing underneath it:

Didn't quite go with the look I was going for but boy were they comfortable!

With a quick glance, one might not have been able to tell that my earrings were little butterflies. Not really my first choice but they were the only pair that I could find both earrings to.

You couldn't tell unless you put your face right up into mine (which thankfully no one did) that there was an angry red hash mark over each eye- the result of an overzealous aesthetician ripping my eyebrows out of my head just a little too harshly on Friday. Or that, around my hairline in the front, there was what looked like a snowstorm of dandruff, but in reality was dried up gel that I didn't work in enough. When I got home, I found some dried up gel or shampoo in on of my ears, as well.

But I swear I looked good! I don't know how it happens, but I actually clean up ok!

No comments: