Saturday, June 28, 2008

Drama at the Bay!!

Last night my husband's band played at the Bay Cafe. Once the quick torrential downpour subsided, the weather actually was nice and the band played on outside. I was looking forward to an evening without SB, possibly involving some dancing, maybe some drinking (which is significant because I generally don't drink). I met up with some friends from work and my pal Bucky was there so I was looking forward to a good time. I was also looking forward to getting some shots of the Crazy Dancers to post here, but sadly I was unable to get any. It just would have looked weird. But I did get a shot of this:

These are the shoes that the bass player was wearing. They got a lot of attention, thanks to me and my phone. I asked him what they were intended for. He said that he ran 5 miles in them. They don't look much like running shoes to me.

Anyway, I know you want to hear about the drama so here it is.

The band's playing. The Crazy Dancers are going to town, gyrating and shaking and kicking. They are in good company: a lady somewhere in her 40's had just graduated from nursing school and was celebrating by being dangerously drunk, dancing like no one wanted to watch, and wearing leis in inappropriate places. So between the three of them, my friends and I, along with the rest of the crowd, were highly entertained.

Then the drum solo comes. All three dancers freeze in their spots and they each do their own interpretation of seizure-like convulsing. The Crazy Lady leans back and shakes her unfettered chest like a really bad polariod picture. The Crazy Man dips into a semi-squat, throws his hands up in the air and moves his hips rapidly in a circular motion. The Nurse leans back about 2 feet away from me, facing me, and bangs on her lei-covered breasts like they are bongos. Hard. It hurt me just to watch her.

My friends and I are going nuts. I catch the eye of the bandleader, who is a good friend of mine, and he just rolls his eyes. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. These three characters were frozen in their dances for just about the entire length of the solo.

The solo ends and all of a sudden I look up to see Crazy Man yelling at my husband. AT MY HUSBAND! My husband is actually yelling back something about "I didn't do it!" Wtf? I had no clue what was going on, but my friends were quick to fill me in.

Apparently Crazy Man looked uncomfortably hot while he was circumvolving his hips. So the bass player felt it was necessary to spray some water on him. I think it came from his own personal water bottle. Crazy Man assumed my husband was the one who did it and immediately went off on him.

Good thing I didn't know all this or Crazy Lady would have had to stop shaking her tatas long enough to pry me off her husband's back so he wouldn't go blind from my pounding my fists into his eye sockets.

But it doesn't end there.

The band takes a set break. Probably a good call. The Bandleader comes up to me and my gaggle of friends to chat. While we are chatting, Crazy Man comes up to try to talk with Bandleader. Bandleader goes off on Crazy Man. Crazy Man argues with Bandleader. There was an email that was not received. There was a lie that was told. There are lots of F bombs being dropped. Apparently, Crazy Dancers were politely asked to tone down their dancing so that others would not be so intimidated to get up onto the dance floor. Perhaps this is why the water was thrown. Who knows? Crazy Man is asked to leave. All of a sudden my friends and I feel very uncomfortable being in such close proximity to this conversation, that is obviously none of our business. But secretly we are also dying to hear the outcome.

Their conversation ends and the band starts playing again. Crazy Lady is nowhere to be found. Crazy Man kind of wanders around the dance floor as if he's not sure whether his Dance Mojo was hurt. Apparently it wasn't because he starts to get down again with some other cougars older women. Meanwhile, Crazy Lady reappears near the bench where the Crazy Dancers store their towels and backpacks, looking PISSED. She stands there with her chin up and her hand on her hip just watching. We weren't sure whether she was mad about the whole water incident or pissed off because Crazy Man is getting down with a gaggle (yes that's twice I've said gaggle now!) of women. I personally think it was the latter, and she just wanted to go home but he put his foot down.

Meanwhile, The Nurse is randomly smacking her boobs and grinding into other drunk people, looking completely possessed and quite scary. Her lei bra eventually becomes her panties and she becomes a butt bongo player. But she's happy in her own little world. And we're all happy for her.

The set ends and the band, as well as the dance crowd, disperses. The Crazy Dancers leave and I later find out that she spoke with the manager at the club. Which meant the Bandleader had to spend 45 minutes fighting for the integrity of his band to the manager. My understanding is that at some point an apology was delivered from the Bass Player to the Crazy Man. Everyone goes home pissed. Except The Nurse, who probably is waking up about now. On some street corner. Wondering why her boobs are so sore.

2 comments:

Eludius said...

Your last sentence totally makes the whole story!

BTW - if older women are cougars, what am I?

Bmore Mama said...

Creepy!