Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ms. Personality

Yesterday marked my one year anniversary at my present job. There was a huge party with cake, balloons and streamers. Well, it was more of a somber one-on-one review with my supervisor. I got reviewed by a lot of people. I had to get reviews from three fitness center members, a co-worker, my supervisor and myself. Out of all these people, mine was the worst! So besides discovering that I am very hard on myself, I learned some interesting things about myself.


Apparently, my strongest attribute at this job is my personality. Isn't that supposed to be a bad thing? As in a girl with a good personality is synonymous with dog-faced oinker? Ok, maybe not in a work setting. At least I hope not. While it feels good that these people appreciate my clever wit and stunning character, shouldn't my strongest asset at work be my skill/professionalism? Isn't that what I went to school and gained massive amounts of experience for? Isn't that what I get paid for?

My second biggest asset includes my organizational skills and my ability to meet deadlines. I work in a freakin fitness center. How organized do I have to be? My deadlines consist of a monthly newsletter, put out the first of each month and a monthly group exercise schedule, put out the last week of each month. It's not rocket science. And I missed the June newsletter deadline by about 2 days this month.

The only other interesting thing I got from this review was that one of the members is unsatisfied with the variety of classes I offer and would like me to start teaching a pole dancing class. This was a female member. And keep in mind this is a corporate fitness center. Enough said.

No comments: