Sunday, June 8, 2008

Pet Peeve

We went out to dinner tonight and while we were waiting for our food, this caught my attention:


Once you get past the blinding light, and then the fact that it looks like the lady's naked, it's not a great shot (I took about 4 and this was the best of the bunch) but it's a family (I assume) of three. What I assume are the parents are sitting with their backs to me, and you can see the baseball cap of the 9 or 10 year old assumed son just over the shoulder of the assumed father. What you can't really make out from this photo is that both "parents" are talking on their cell phones. The "mother" has hers up to her right ear and the "father" has his up to his left. The "son" is being completely ignored while both parents carry on their separate conversations. This went on for about 20 minutes. At least.

While I would not like to live in a world without my cell phone, and I do admit to carrying on conversations while I'm with SB (mostly because the only time I'm not with her is while I'm at work), I don't go this far. And both the man and I have more respect for our family than to carry on a personal conversation with someone else during a family meal. Especially at the same time as the other. I mean what could be going on in their lives that is so important that they each need to be holding their own private conversation with someone other than their family right at that moment that they're out to dinner? I seriously wondered for a minute if they were actually talking to each other. When I first noticed them, the "father" was at the fixins bar (we were at Fuddruckers) and my first inclination was that he was talking with someone sitting at the table, receiving directions on what to put on their burger. I actually thought that was quite clever. Then he came and sat down right in front of me and I realized that was not the case.

I mentioned this to my husband, mostly in the form of yelling at him to get out of my shot as I tried to capture this on my own cell, and his response was that this is what society is turning into. What a shame......

No comments: