Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Quite Alarming!

Today is going to become a very busy day very soon. It's 2:30pm now and I'm waiting for SB to wake up from her nap. Then I have to get the following accomplished before bedtime: fold and put away laundry, run, lift some weights (I overslept this morning- but that's a post in and of itself!), cook all the raw chicken and raw beef I have sitting in my fridge since I vowed I'd start cooking more, teach a 12-year old how to play piano, pick up the pool passes from my brother so my mother gets off my back about getting them, make a Pro/Con list about my current job, make a Pro/Con list about my current field, pick up a birthday card for a co-worker, and feed myself and SB.

When did my life get so complicated? I never needed to do lists before! So yeah, I'm not looking forward to this piano lesson. I've been teaching the kid for a little over 3 years now, and he's a really nice kid and really smart, but he practices maybe one week in 10. So for 90% of the lessons I basically get paid to sit through a practice session with him. Boring, and frustrating! Plus they cancel all the time, and when the weather's nice like it's been lately, I hate being stuck around the house waiting for them. I've told them that he's getting to the point where he might benefit from another teacher who is more advanced, and who has more teaching experience than I do. But I think the mother just likes playing with SB while the kid's in the lesson so they just keep coming back! Personally I think it's a waste of their money.

So funny story about this morning. I set my alarm for 4:30am. I decided to ease up on the cardio and focus on strength training this week. So the plan was to get up at 4:30, get to work at 5 and lift weights for the hour or so before the gym officially opens. At 4:30am, I hear the alarm. I sit up and hit the snooze button on the alarm clock but nothing happens. I hit it again....and again....and again and the noise is still going on. So I'm sitting up at this point, frantically hitting every single button on my alarm clock repeatedly, wondering why it's not shutting off. My husband sits up and asks me what I'm doing. I tell him I'm trying to turn off the alarm but it doesn't seem to be working. He turns around and goes back to sleep. I keep hitting every button and switching every switch until finally the noise stops. I lay back down, only to hear it go off again in 5 minutes.

This time, when I get up, I realize that it's my cell phone buzzing away on my nightstand. About two inches away from the alarm clock I had just been beating up. I switched the cell phone off and got up, and went on with my day.

Here's why this is a funny story: I never set my alarm clock. I don't even think it has the correct time on it. I always set my cell phone alarm to wake me up since the buzz doesn't wake anyone else up. I don't know why this morning I thought I set it. And I didn't even give the whole frantic alarm clock beating a second thought until later in the day.

So later on my husband calls me at work and asks me if I ever figured out that my phone was going off and not the alarm. He said he woke up and saw me hacking away at the clock and thought, what is she doing, she never sets her alarm clock but WENT BACK TO SLEEP while I sat there pounding away at the clock! I asked him why he didn't say anything, and he answered that I tend to be very cranky in the mornings. Nice.

No comments: