Monday, November 24, 2008

Yawn.

I try not to complain about my job too much. Blank Stare? Yes, I complain about him all the time. But he is just one aspect of my job. I feel that there is just no use complaining about my job because right now it's all I've got. But sometimes things just get to me.

I get bored very easily. I'm no Einstein, but I have common sense and a really great work ethic. Don't laugh- I do. I've been complimented on it my entire life. No employer of mine has ever complained that I don't try hard enough, or that I have problems grasping the concept of my job. When faced with a new position, it takes me a little time, but eventually I master it.

Then I get bored.

I am beyond bored in my current position. The only challenging part of my job is when I have to teach a step class with a tummy ache. That's kind of tough. But other than that, it's in the bag. In fact, it was in the bag my first day. I got there at 11:30am, and was alone by 2pm. I closed by myself the first night there. Does that give you a pretty good idea of what's expected of me? Very little.

Yeah. My favorite job so far was when I was an exercise physiologist in the cardiac rehab department of a large hospital. Now that was a good job for me and my WADD (work ADD). On any given day I could be doing any combination of the following: Phase I, II or III cardiac rehab, medical fitness, personal training, teaching group exercise, bariatric consultations, diabetes lectures, new member orientations, writing the newsletter, working on incentive programs, working on the new Exercise for Cancer Patients manual, or MI/high risk patient consultations.

It was awesome. I was never bored, and I was constantly challenged.

Here? I am always bored. Basically I see my current job as one big social hour, interrupted only by classes I teach and the random assessment I get to do. And as much fun as that is to spend my days harassing the people who work for the company whose fitness center I staff, it kind of sucks when they have work to do. Which is more often than I do. Which is never.

But I also get frustrated when I see things that are neglected by my fellow staff. Photocopies of forms that were never made, sweat towels and CDs left out in the AV cabinet in the Group Ex room, publications that brag eternal life and contain so many typos and misprints and spelling/grammatical errors that they look like they were put together by a blind Chinese kindergartner. They leave without folding the required number of towels for the person on the next shift. I understand what it's like to be soooo busy you don't have time to put your towel in the bin. BUT WE'RE SOOOO NOT BUSY AT MY GYM. So really, there's no excuse.

I have high standards. I've been dealing with the repercussions of having these unattainable standards my entire life, so it's really not their problem that I'm getting frustrated. It's my own. But it is really becoming a problem.

I've tried to create work for myself. I expanded the monthly newsletter to 4 pages, from the 2 pages that it was originally. Just so I would have more stuff to research and look up. I've pretty much taken over doing all the end of the month reports and paperwork so that there's at least one day per month that I am slightly busy. Other than that, there's not much else to do.

Except thank my lucky stars that I at least have the Internet, and a plethora of work friends that I can badger with constant emails begging them to entertain me.

1 comment:

Eludius said...

I can't believe you just made fun of blind Chinese Kindergartners. How offensive!