Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bon Voyage, LPP!

Last night was a semi-surprise going away party for one of my all-time favorite people in the world, LPP. There was no question in my mind that I was going to go- I very openly adore the boy, and take advantage of every opportunity to spend time with him. But I was a little wary of the event itself, for several reasons.

The first is that it seems that every time I go out with my little group of "party friends" there is some sort of drama. Nothing major, but enough that it prevents me from saying "last night was completely AWESOME" the next morning. For example, when we went out for my 30th birthday, I did have fun. But as it got later and my friends got increasingly drunk and annoying, I found it difficult to enjoy myself with certain buddies drunk-dancing in my face. I'm not a huge touchy-feely person, especially with other girls. I don't care how drunk you are, stay out of my personal space or I'll get pissed.

Another time, some of the people I was with abruptly decided to leave, for no reason at all. Which would have been fine, except that it would have left me, a married woman, awkwardly hanging out alone in a bar with a married guy. That wouldn't have flown well with TB (or the guy's wife, probably) so we were forced to call it a night, way before either of us was really ready to. And another time, it was a huge mess, with one friend pissed off at the other because he was too touchy-feely with her, which in turn pissed him off, which pissed the rest of us off because no one was having a good time. And then there was the time that one guy just left one of my girlfriends alone in the bar and bolted, because I was at the ATM with my other friends and he didn't feel like waiting. Drunk and alone, my girlfriend also left the bar, but I was driving her so we had to find her. Finally after multiple unanswered cell phone calls and a good 20-30 minutes of searching the streets of Federal Hill, we found her at Pizza Boli's with a new "friend".

Get the picture? So I was really worried that there would be similar drama. I was also concerned that I wouldn't really be having a great time because the place we were going to, a dueling piano bar called Howl At The Moon, was not my all-time favorite place to go. My friends dragged me there for my bachelorette party and I made them take me somewhere else because I just didn't like it. I didn't know any of the songs, and I wasn't in any position to just belt out the choruses to the few I did know. So I was worried I'd be in a similar place this time.

So I didn't really put too much effort forth in looking really good. I was happy that I fit into my skinniest jeans (no muffin tops or anything!) and pulled on a basic black long sleeved t-shirt. Makeup was minimal and I gave up blow drying my hair halfway through because it was frizz weather so I knew it would do its own thing anyway.

Despite all of the above, I actually had an AWESOME time. I really did. I think because my expectations were low, I wasn't disappointed. I didn't expect to know any of the songs, but I actually knew maybe more than half, so was singing at the top of my lungs. PLUS they sang "Because I Was High" which I used to play nonstop when it first came out. My husband gets a kick out of hearing me sing with it because that song is SOOOOOOOO not me. And I think he secretly likes hearing me say "I was going to eat your p**** too, because I was high....now I'm jacking off...." since I never talk that way.

I didn't go out of my way to look extra nice, but I looked ok (at least I think) so I wasn't worried about whether my efforts were "working" and I was looking hot. I really didn't care. My clothes were conservative so I wasn't obsessed with whether a boob was sticking out of a low-cut top or whether you could see my underwear poking out from the top of my jeans. I wore my favorite boots so my feet weren't hurting.

We even got some free stuff- Miller Lite hats and a 104.3 keychain. Plus Bucky and I got our photo taken for the 104.3 website. So check it out to see if we made it on.

It was completely awesome. I had fun. I now know the secret to going out and having a good time. Just be comfortable, don't expect anything, and relax.

No comments: