Saturday, November 29, 2008

I Judge Some Books by their Covers. But Not All.

TB just left for his 12-2am Senators' gig. And I'm sitting here trying to get into my newest book. I tried to find someone to go with me to the gig, but all my friends are either out of town or have plans. Stupid friends who are physically unavailable....

I could have gone by myself. It wouldn't be the first time that I attended one of TB's gigs on my own. But the All Mighty Senators are a completely different situation. These guys are scary.

Now don't get me wrong- I've met most of them and I consider them all to be very decent, intelligent people. Yes, Craig the trombone player has the biggest 'fro I've ever seen on a white guy, which compliments his long beard that he wears braided. And frightens the bejeezes out of SB. Yes, Dave the trumpet player maintains an eerie likening to what would happen if Skeletor and John Lennon created a love child. Yes, Landis, the drummer/lead singer wears makeup and dresses.

But I swear- they're all really nice guys. They're just fairly successful musicians who do nothing but focus on their art, so they can look as scary eccentric as they want.

The problem lies in their following. I mean, what kind of person do you think would be drawn to this:


They've actually come a long way, seeing as how this is what they looked like about 15 years ago.



Click on the photo to enlarge it, then look carefully all the way to the left. You'll see part of a man (I can only presume it's Landis) wearing nothing but Underoos. And this is tame. I remember seeing one shot where band members were wearing diapers and angel wings. Yeah, so you can maybe imagine why I chose to stay at home rather than brave this insanity alone.

So I'm sitting here trying to get through my most recent book, Broken. It wasn't my first choice. I actually got it from the library. I haven't been to the library in years. I prefer to purchase all my books, because I don't really read anything anymore unless I'm confident that I like it. And if I like it I always end up wanting to keep it. But TB told me that we'd probably go broke if I kept buying all my books, plus SB's. Especially since I've been going through a book and a half per week lately.

I was not happy with the library's selection. Barnes & Noble has a much better spread of books. And they're not all smelly and worn out. Who knows where these books have been? Who knows what the person who read this book before me was doing while they read? I shudder just thinking of the possibilities.

I'll be the first to admit it: I'm a total book snob. And I totally judge books by their covers. Unless it was a recommendation from one of my bookworm friends, if the cover's not attractive to me, I don't read it. So this particular book, Broken, was only chosen because its cover was more appealing to me than any other one on the shelf. And because it was paperback. I hate hardcover. I only get them on the very rare occasion that it's the only option for the book I want.

So yeah, I'm not too sure this library thing is going to work out for me. It's great for SB- they had a whole shelf of Dr. Seuss books! But I was so impressed with the ones that we got (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and Fox In Socks) that I'm afraid I might just want to go out and buy them.

We'll see.

No comments: