Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dear Diary

Apparently my last post about yesterday evening didn't contain enough excitement for Eludius (can you say Drama Queen?) so here's another post that has less of my current mundane life as a mom and more of my former mundane life as a teenager.

I don't keep a diary now, but I did throughout most of high school. For some reason, a few days ago I thought about my diary and how I chronicled my trying out for the volleyball team my freshman year. I have taken the liberty of transcribing certain entries from this period (word for word), because what could be more thrilling than reading what a 13 year old girl has to say about trying out for the volleyball team? I think this tells you a lot about the kind of person I am. And it's not very favorable. Of course.

August 14, 1993
Hey! Wassup?
(Did I expect an answer?)A lot here. I went to Dad's for a week. It was ok but really boring. I got 3 new shirts for school. Now all I need is jeans and summerwear. Tracy's here now but she's asleep. She spent the night here and we stayed up until like 4:30am talking. It was fun. On Monday I start volleyball practice. I can't wait. I hope I make the team. I'm trying out against 30 other girls; 10 will make the team. I hope I'm one of them. It means a lot to me. There was a meeting on Thursday for all autumn sports and Alonzo was there, talking with Susan H. I felt sorta bad cause I just ignored him and didn't even say "hi" but I didn't want to seem as if I was there alone so I had to find Angie C., who's also trying out for volleyball who I'm positive will make it. She's really good. I wish my hair would hurry up and grow. It's starting to grow in straight, but the ends are frizzier than ever. REALLY curly. I hope it's not natural. I sent out to get some shampoo that makes hair grow faster. I doubt I'll get it though. I sent cash and you were supposed to send checks or CODs. They could just take my money. I hope they are honest enough to send it (the shampoo). And if they do, I hope it works. It seems like the perfect solution to my problem. OK Gotta run. C ya.

OK I think that one sentence about the meeting where I ignored Alonzo? Can you say run-on? Also, I'm really glad that I clarified that it was the shampoo that I hope the company sends, and not something else. And yes, a shampoo that makes one's hair grow faster DOES seem like the perfect solution to the problem of hair that needs to grow. Yeah.

August 19, 1993
Hey! I'm SO sore and tired from volleyball. My legs really ache. I don't see why since we're not really doing too much with our legs anyway. Except for all the running. Tomorrow is the first cuts. I'm sorta worried. Jasmine G, Tara, Sarah A, Kim, Shannon, Sherry, Evie and maybe Sarah H. Those are the people I'm most worried about. Crystal too. I really want to make the team. Well, if I don't make the team, I won't be a sore loser about it. At least then I won't have to swim. It's such a pain for me. Alonzo called me again the other day (He can't swim) (He told me that). He also asked what I was doing that night. I was worried what he'd say next so I said "sleeping." That shut him up! I like him, but only as a friend. I'm really tired now. I'll write more tomorrow after I get home from (1st cuts) practice and tell you how I did. C ya.


Really? That's so weird that my legs were sore...but I wasn't doing anything with them. You know, aside from all that running. And no, I have no idea what swimming had to do with making the team.

OK here's my favorite entry:

August 20, 1993
Hi. I'm sorta depressed. I didn't make it past first cuts. NOT! I made it through with flying colors! Here are all the non-varsity players who made it
.....I won't bore you with that list, but it started off with "moi"....Angie C. says that she thinks 3-5 people will be cut this Friday. I hope I'm not one of them. I got a temporary uniform to wear tomorrow cause we're getting a group picture taken. I must look bee-yoo-ti ful! I'm not too worried about being popular this year. I just want to be liked. By everyone. C ya.

OK. I can't get over the fact that I actually thought I might FORGET that I was on the volleyball team and believe that I didn't make it past first cuts. Or at least I couldn't until I pulled this diary out a few years ago, read this entry and believed it. Yes. For an instant there, I was terrified that I never actually made it onto the team, but had convinced myself that I had somehow. Whatever, this paragraph is confusing me, even.

But I'm also really impressed at the maturity I showed by not being too worried about being popular and just being happy with being liked. By everyone.

No comments: