Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Suck It and Lick It

My conversation with SB this morning:

SB (whining): I want a candy cane.

Me (being an awesome parent): No, it's not time for a candy cane.

SB (still whining): Pleeeeeeeeease can I have a candy cane, Mommy?

Me (sick of hearing her beg for one since she saw them last night): OK, here.

I unwrap the end of one and give it to SB to hold where it's still wrapped.

SB: CRUNCH

Me: No, SB, you don't bite it. You suck it and lick it. Like a lollipop.

SB (looking at me): CRUNCH CRUNCH

Me (thinking about 15 more years of dental visits): NO! Don't bite it! Suck! Lick! Don't bite!

SB (walking away): CRUNCH CRUNCH

Me (calling after her): Keep sucking, SB. Don't bite it so hard.

Suddenly I feel very dirty.

1 comment:

Eludius said...

You're a horrible parent. You shouldn't have given in. Now you've set precedence. She'll get whatever she wants by whining enough.

And teaching your daughter to suck and lick....I wish my mother-in-law would have taught that to her daughter.