Monday, September 29, 2008

Sometimes Eloping is the Answer

I'm a pretty easygoing gal. I know that there are times when I feel frazzled and pulled in 20 different directions at one time, and in these situations I might snap a bit under the pressure and get a sharp tongue. I have been chastised about my sharp tongue many a time. I ought to get a cap for it, because there have been times when I just say the first thing that comes into my head, and usually that's more for shock value than anything else. And I get myself into trouble.

But that's only on the rare occasion. Or when I've been forced to spend too much time in Blank Stare's presence. Most of the time I'm just downright happy-go-lucky.

That being said...

This Saturday is my brother's wedding. He's my older brother- 32 years old. I am very happy for him and wish he and his future wife nothing but the best. But I am starting to get nervous about this wedding. SB is a flower girl in the wedding. Small part, I understand. But as of last Thursday, all I had received was the generic invitation, instructions on which dress to buy, and rumors that there was talk of a rehearsal dinner the day before the wedding.

They are getting married on a Saturday, which means this "rehearsal dinner," which no one except my insane mother has mentioned, is supposedly on a Friday. There is a 75% chance that my husband is playing on any given Friday, being a musician and all. Since my mother was the only person talking about it, and my brother and his fiancee never mentioned it to me or my husband, I just assumed that 1) it didn't exist and my mother just made it up like she does so many other things that she tries to accuse me of, or 2) we weren't expected to attend this dinner. Either way, I'm happy.

So this past Friday evening, close to 9pm I get an email from future SIL. Here's what it said, word for word:

Pssssst.....Are you guys invited to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday 10/3? If you could let me know ASAP that would be great, thanks. -A

OK so let me get this straight- One week before this "rehearsal dinner" I am being asked by the bride if I'm invited. WTF???? Out of all the people, shouldn't she be aware of who's invited to this dinner? Isn't that kind of her job? To make sure people know what they're supposed to be doing as part of her bridal party? In her OWN freaking wedding?

And what's up with the whole Pssssst thing? Is it a secret that we're invited? Or that she doesn't know if we're invited? Or that she's asking us if we're invited? And it's via email, so even if it was a secret, who would know that we told her anyway? I don't understand.

My response?

Hi, A. I'm confused. Are you asking us if we're invited? My mom's mentioned it but I haven't heard anything official so honestly, I'm not sure!

So then, and this is why I now think the girl does the crack, she replies:

sorry tired! I missed typed..I am saying you are invited that you should come...we will feed you afterwards plus might be good to give SB a trial run.

OK so this was apparently her invitation to the rehearsal dinner. One week before the event. Keep in mind I still have no idea where it is or what time. At this point, I start getting every email from her twice, for some bizarre reason that she blames on email problems. Personally, I think it's just because she didn't want to admit that she left out such vital information- like where and when.

Now don't get me wrong. I feel for the girl. She is, after all, marrying my brother- the king of procrastination, apathy and argument. She's obviously taking care of everything herself, because when asked to do something, my brother would undoubtedly put it off, just not care enough to do it at all, or argue the point until she gives up and does it herself or forgets about it. I'm still amazed he got as far as to propose and purchase a ring!

But still. She's lucky that TB just happens to have the night off, so we're able to make the 1-hour trip to PA to her dad's place, which is where the wedding is being held. Hopefully once we're there, she'll be able to tell us what time to arrive the next day so SB can get her hair done, because we still haven't been informed of anything other than the time the ceremony begins.

I wonder why they never considered eloping.

No comments: