Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shout Out to my Girls

This post is for the ladies. Guys, you might want to leave the room for a little while. No, it's not that we don't love you. And I promise, this is not a man-bashing session. But you might be more comfortable hanging out here for a bit so I can get something that you might not be completely interested in hearing about...ahem...off my chest. Now if you want to stay then that's cool too. And no, I'm not judging....

So tonight I went shopping, and among other things, I bought myself a push-up bra. I confess, I'm almost 30 years old and I have never owned a true honest-to-goodness push-up bra. I just never really cared enough to.

I'm a girl, I have boobs. But I spend most of my work day trying to squish them down to minimize bouncing and chafing while teaching aerobics classes and doing my own workouts, like running. I have been doing this so long, and have gotten so used to this lifestyle that it has completely spilled into my personal life. I bet that there are more sports bras in my drawer than regular bras. Sometimes I even double up with the sports bras just to make sure nothing bounces around. I hate bouncing.

It's actually gotten to the point where I will put on a regular bra only if I'm going somewhere semi-respectable, like out to dinner, or to a club, or something. Which is almost never. So about 98% of the time, I'm squished down and happy about it. What can I say, work has completely spoiled me in this sense.

Now I was never one to peddle my wares. Don't get me wrong, I think that if you got it, you are perfectly entitled to flaunt it. And I think a girl can definitely flaunt it without looking sleazy or slutty. I personally have just always been a very conservative dresser who prefers maximum coverage under clothes to ensure a respectable shape and to reduce the chances of anything personal being exposed to the general public. I don't like it when my bra shows, and I like it even less when something that the bra's supposed to be covering up shows.

And I'm not really huge into low cut tops or racy blouses, or even cleavage because I don't want to spend the entire night worrying about what might fall out if I bend over too far or stand the wrong way. I just don't want to be bothered with those things.

So what possessed me to buy the bra? I have no idea. I was just walking around and saw them and realized I never had one and decided to splurge.

And boy, am I glad I did.

Without going into too much graphic detail, let me just say that I consider myself very average in this category. I'm a happy medium between Pamela Anderson and Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry. I don't necessarily want to be any bigger or any smaller.

But here's the difference this bra made:


Let me also note here that I took the "after" photo on my cell, then uploaded it onto my flickr site. My parents visit this site just about every day so I didn't want a huge photo of my tatas to greet them tomorrow morning when they log in. In between the time that I uploaded the photo and went to mark it "private" - which was a span of about 2 seconds- it already had 4 hits. Boys!

Anyway, my whole reason for going into all this is to tell all the girls out there who might stumble upon this post that if they don't already have a push-up bra, it is worth the investment. I honestly thought that either it wouldn't make that big of a difference or it would make me look like a prostitue, but I don't think either is the case.

Either way, my husband definitely likes it. But since our bi-annual date night was yesterday, I just have to figure out where I'm going to wear this....

No comments: