Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lurman Amphitheatre


Today The Band played, or tried to play, at the Lurman Amphitheatre in Catonsville. They were scheduled to play 6-8pm but actually started later and ended earlier due to thunderstorms. To be honest, I'm surprised they got to play at all, and equally surprised they had a decent crowd, considering the weather. This is what they had to work around:

I was on CD duty, which I do a lot. I field a lot of questions and hear a lot of "Wow, these guys sound great. My cousin's baby mama plays the panflute so we have musicians in our family too!" Today, for some reason, the questions were unusual. One person asked if they were going to play some festival I'd never heard of. I told them I didn't know and they proceeded to tell me that The Band used to be Knights of Rhythm or something bizarre like that. I told them I'm pretty sure the band was never called that. This guy insisted that some of the members of The Band used to be in the Knights of Rhythm. Whatever.

The great thing about tonight's gig was the dancers. SB was dancing her little heart out and it was the cutest thing in the world. During a drum solo she actually bent down low and was shaking her booty and pumping her arms. Everyone was getting a kick out of her. She had a little boyfriend James, who looked to be about 2ish, who was a very groovy dancer, especially for a white boy. He had rhythm and would hear the music and just start shrugging his shoulders in time, then once he had properly captured the groove, he would bend his knees and stick out his hands and go to town. It was hilarious. I actually had several strangers come up to me to comment on SB's dancing skills (which I took full credit for, of course) and I know James' mom did too.

But the most interesting dancer was this guy.


He was totally channeling Michael Jackson. He was even working the white glove, although he had two on instead of one. I was sitting front and center, and earlier on he actually attempted a ballet leap, which frightened me a little. But you have to give him credit- he was definitely in the groove. He had a badge on his belt which makes me think he's some kind of security guy. I see him every time The Band plays at this venue, so he might work there.

About 7:45ish, the skies opened up and we got POURED ON. My husband carried SB so he had the umbrella and we were both going as fast as possible but all three of us were soaked by the time we got to the truck. I guess that's the beauty of being a trumpet player- no heavy equipment to load up! He just put his trumpet in the case, put his stand away and rolled out.

No comments: