Friday, July 25, 2008

Sooooooo Unappreciated

I've been told on at least two separate occasions now that I have a dry sense of humor. I'm not sure exactly what this means, or if it's even true. I never considered myself a "dry" person. I actually consider myself kind of vibrant and colorful, which, to me, does not scream "dry". I know that on the second of these occasions, it was meant as a compliment because he said that he did too and that's why we get along. Actually, the first time, the guy also said that he "got me" but not everyone else did. Now that I think about it, both of these guys were probably trying to get into my pants. Which is kind of disturbing because the first guy was my boss who has at least 40 years on me and was a married alcoholic who chugged Listerine at his desk. Wow, and now I see that he totally wanted me.

Anyway, whatever consistency my sense of humor is, I always figured my husband gets me, and that's all that really matters in the long run.

For example, the following is a direct transcript of a text conversation we had this evening. He was playing at some private gig, and, alone with SB and little to do, I was on my way to Giant (which, by the way, was the first time I went there since my comment earlier in the week about not going back for the rest of the week. I don't work on Fridays; therefore Fridays are considered the weekend; therefore I kept my word).

It started with this photo, which I snapped in the car just before we pulled out of the driveway:

The caption read: Ernie and George are dating.

I thought it was funny and not at all disturbing that my daughter was making a monkey and a notoriously "gay" character kiss.

His response: I knew it!

So I responded: Ernie puts out on the first date and George doesn't respect him for that but he does it anyway because he really wants some.

I thought that was funny and very creative, while making a serious political statement about double standards in today's society. Quite brilliant, actually, if you ask me.

His response? Oooooooooooookaaaaaaay. One step too far.

Ok maybe he doesn't get me; maybe it's more like he tolerates me. I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

Eludius said...

I get you. I thought that comment was ridiculously hysterical.