Monday, July 14, 2008

It's In The Bag....

Some people think I'm joking around or exaggerating when I say I go to Giant a minimum of three times per week. Well, it's only Monday and so far I've been twice this week! It's not due to poor planning on my part- I understand how to plan ahead, and make and stick to a shopping list. It's mostly because when I go to Giant, I'm alone with SB and it's just easier for me to bring in a few bags than load myself down with them or make 479 trips from the truck to the house to get an entire week's worth of groceries in the door. So, you see, there's a method to my madness. Plus it's something to do when we're bored.

Anyway, so tonight's visit was actually at SB's request. She wanted a cookie and I wasn't opposed to having one myself so off we went. As I walked through the doors near the produce section I realized that our fruit bowl that we keep on the kitchen counter was down to one measly apple. It desperately needed to be restocked. And my all-time favorite fruits, nectarines, just happened to be smiling right at me from the bin as I walked in. There was one guy at the bin with a little girl about 1-1/2 years old. I only really noticed them because they were blocking my access to the plastic produce bags. But upon closer inspection, something was wrong.

The man had his back to the little girl (which, in and of itself was certainly not a big deal- she was only about a foot and a half away from him), who was happily sitting in her cart playing with what was probably the last produce bag.

Let that sink in for a minute there.

The guy had his back to the little girl who was playing with a plastic bag.

If you're not completely horrified and gasping for breath right now then you don't get it.

Let me explain.

Babies/toddlers and plastic bags don't mix. The bags are a choking hazard. Something about the plastic bag makes the baby want to put it on her head, it's inevitable. Once she succeeds in putting the bag over her head, which is also inevitable, then chances are she can't get it off and then could potentially suffocate. Most parents try to avoid having their young children suffocate. I realize there are unfortunate exceptions to this rule. But I'm talking about the general sane responsible public here.

Anyway, I watched this little girl try again and again to get the bag over her head, to no avail. I wasn't about to say anything to the father prematurely but at the same time I wasn't about to just walk away while the guy remains without a clue. So I just stood there staring, despite the fact that my cart was full of nectarines and bananas, waiting for the child to finally experience success in her endeavors.

It didn't take long. After about 30 seconds, the little girl's head was completely engulfed in the plastic bag. I immediately said, very loudly, "Um, she has a plastic bag on her head." The man looked and immediately yanked it off, and muttered some kind of an excuse, something about kids being sneaky. I kind of half smiled, extremely proud of myself for not only practically saving this child's life, but for not judging the man on his negligence or his notable lack of a thank you for my stepping in.

I don't think this guy is a bad parent. Personally the whole giving a curious toddler a plastic bag to play with thing was a no-brainer for me (and doing that then turning your back just screams moron), but I'm sure I've done things that were just as stupid but seemed like a good idea at the time. It's not my place to judge and I'm not going to. I'm sure this guy was extremely embarrassed that a stranger in a grocery store was keeping a closer eye on his baby than he was. I'm kind of more taken aback that he wasn't on his knees kissing my hand in gratitude.

I know what I did really wasn't a big deal, but I can't imagine just turning around to see SB with a bag on her head. My heart would stop. Just remembering how that little girl looked makes me uncomfortable. And I would be stuttering over myself with appreciation for a person speaking up, let alone not calling CPS on me.

I guess it takes all types. If nothing else, I hope this guy goes home and is just that much more appreciative of his child, and makes a little bit more of an effort to keep an eye on her at all times.

No comments: