Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why Moms Can Be Creepy

My mother recently brought over my Box. My Box is filled with stuff representative of my childhood, like report cards, letters to Santa that must have never made it to the mailbox, journals from school, birthday cards, etc. Basically things that we never really had any use for but she didn't want to throw away. Some moms scrapbook, some moms create mementos, mine just threw everything into a cardboard box kept in the basement. Good thing we never had an issue with pipes leaking through the walls!

While cleaning my office recently I took a break to stroll down memory lane and go through all the stuff in my Box. I was having a great time reminiscing when I came across this:



While I realize that at first glance they look like petrified turds (which what I initially thought they were), upon closer inspection one would discover that these are balls of hair. Human hair, if I had to guess. Stored away in little plastic sandwich baggies. One had a tissue stuffed in it, too. To keep the hair company.

A lock of virgin hair from baby's first hair cut- I understand. (In fact, the hair dresser who cut SB's hair automatically put the locks into an envelope for me to keep. I should probably look for that in case TB tries to use the envelope to mail something like our mortgage payment out in.) These horrid masses were obviously not from my first haircut unless there's some awful family secret involving an Oops! moment between Chewbacca and a werewolf that resulted in my birth. These had to have been taken from some subsequent haircut. Why? I have absolutely no idea. I'm not even 100% sure both of these "locks" are mine.

And did my mother wrap them into these little balls for a reason or did they just sort of morph into them after years of being squished in the basement Box?

The worst part about this all is that despite my disgust at my finding, after taking the above photo, instead of throwing them away, I stuffed the hairballs back into their baggies and put them back in the Box. Maybe one day they'll make their way into SB's Box.

No comments: