Friday, January 23, 2009

Still Got Nothing

There's not a whole heck of a lot of interesting stuff going on in my life right now. I guess I could talk about the same stuff everyone else is talking about- Obama. But I don't really have much to say. I'm glad he's our president, and I hope he does a good job. But I don't claim to be able to tell you whether he will or not. So let's just wait and hope.

I could talk about my tendency toward sneezing while I'm pregnant, which has resulted in half-chewed scrambled eggs being catapulted into my shirt at the crook of my elbow every single morning for the past week, because it comes on rather quickly. But I've been told that's gross and I shouldn't talk about it.

I just finished watching last night's episode of America's Best Dance Crew, and I have a confession to make. I teared up through the entire thing. I know I could totally chalk it up to pregnancy hormones that are (hopefully) raging through my body, but sadly, I did the same thing last year. I don't think I've ever cried at a movie. Maybe Dumbo. Hey- it's a depressing movie! That scene where his mother is locked away and she sticks her trunk out through the window and rocks him?? That's sad stuff! Kids shouldn't be watching that, they should be watching animals happily frolic about playfully without a care in the world.

But ABDC? I tear up almost immediately. I think it's partially respect for all these super-talented people giving it their all. Dance is not only an art, but it's also very athletic, so not only do these people have to possess rhythm and skill, they also have to be physically fit in order to perform the choreography. Which they do themselves, so they also have to be creative. It's amazing to me. I think part of it is also that I've participated in some sort of dance my entire life (tap and ballet when I was little, add in jazz when I was a teenager, then ballroom as an adult) and I kind of miss it. Actually I miss it a lot.

I keep telling myself that I'll find a place where I can take dance lessons but it never works out- either with the price or the location or the schedule. And now I know that even if I found the ideal class, I can't do anything about it until next fall. And that makes me a little sad.

About a year or so ago, I was really into krumping so I bought myself a how-to video. In case you weren't aware the stomp is the bread and butter of any krump routine. I practiced hard, and was on my way to mastering said stomp when I hit a plateau, which I determined to be caused by the lack of clodhop in my heaviest boots.

Incidentally, I also purchased 2 DVDs from the same company as my krump video, because they were on sale. And I later found out why. They were also how-to videos, but these taught you how to dance appropriately in a club. They were pretty funny, but they did start off with basic pelvic thrusts which, as we all know, is the bread and butter of any club dance.

No comments: