Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Someone Owes Me

2009 has not been good to me. Whoever it is who sits up there in the clouds and decides what curveballs to throw at us has it in for me. Bad.

Just when things had calmed down with Koko being sick, SB get sick. I mean really sick. I'm talking that horrible nasty stomach virus that has nastiness coming out of both ends at the same time...all the time.

TB had it a few weeks ago, but SB got it worse. She was throwing up constantly from Thursday night through Sunday. And going to the bathroom literally every 5 minutes (sometimes more frequently) for almost that entire duration as well.

Doctor's orders said we just have to let it run its course, but dehydration was a serious side effect since she wasn't able to keep anything down. As soon as she drank some Pedialyte, it would come right back up. Same to water, apple juice and Gatorade. The doctor advised us not to give her any water (stick with the Pedialyte), and stick to a bland food BRATT diet once she was ready to eat.

Of course, SB soon decided that she didn't like the Pedialyte or the Gatorade. All she wanted was water. And she asked for it. Every 3.5 minutes. We kept telling her no, she needs to drink her "medicine juice" and even got her multiple flavors, but she wasn't having any of it.

She pretty much went 2 days without any food at all, and by Sunday, her eyes were sunken in and had huge nasty horrible dark circles under them. I felt so horrible for her. You hear about this stuff going around, but when it happens to someone so young and so helpless, who can't understand why she can't have food when she's hungry or chocolate milk right after she puked, it's tough to take.

The ONLY bright side to this whole ordeal is that somehow, for the second time, I've managed to avoid getting this horrible virus...so far. I told my husband it would almost be interesting if I did get it since I haven't thrown up since the 7th grade. I'm almost curious to see what it would take to get me to throw up again. There have been a couple of times in that almost 20-year period since then that I've attempted to make myself throw up. Mostly because I was feeling sick and heard people say that sometimes it's better to throw up because you feel better after. But it never worked.

I am just wired that way, I guess. I tend to sneeze instead. Recently I've been feeling waves of nausea. They'll swell up and I'll be standing over a trash can, ready to let it all out, kind of scared that I won't remember what to do...then let out a huge sneeze and feel better.

So here's hoping that my next post is all good news and fun stuff! Actually, I'm about to head over to my pregnancy blog to announce some good news, so if you want to hear some, head on over there! It probably won't happen here any time soon.

No comments: