Thursday, November 20, 2008

Is It the Weekend Yet?

Yesterday was a very busy day for me, after work. I had to take SB with me to drop Bucky off at the airport, then go straight to dance class, get the obligatory Wednesday night Chicken nugget happy meal and milkshake from Chik Fila (for SB, not me), get my run in, put SB to bed, then settle down to watch America's Next Top Model.

Bringing SB to the airport was a huge mistake. Not like I had a choice or anything, since The Man had to work. But she convinced herself that she was going to get to ride in an airplane, and once she realized that wasn't going to happen, she was inconsolable. In rush hour traffic. On the Baltimore beltway.

Yeah, fun stuff.

So we went to dance class. The good news is that Anna didn't lick the floor this time. She was out sick last week and I can't help but wonder if she licked up some germ off the floor. Yuck! The crazy loud older girls were there again this week, yelling and screaming, knocking on the bathroom door while someone was in it, then running away. I was actually impressed that the Mother Du Jour (I think they all taking turns carting all the girls to class each week) actually reprimanded them for being obnoxious. Plus, I like them just a little more this week because one girl actually went out of her way to tell the one they were making fun of a few weeks ago what they were doing- an obvious attempt to include her! Nevermind that she didn't really care...I was happy they made the effort.

Then I went home and procrastinated running for as long as I possibly could. Dance class ends at 5:30, so after picking up SB's dinner, we were probably home just before 6pm. I think it was around 8pm by the time I heaved myself onto the treadmill. And I didn't accomplish one single thing during that time, except realizing that I have atrocious split ends and am way overdue for a haircut.

I should have not even bothered with the treadmill. I might have helped SB with her milkshake a little- the calories don't count when it's her milkshake, right?? .....right? And I think that's probably the main reason as to why, 13 minutes into the run I had to pull the emergency stop magnet from the machine and throw myself onto the ground, writhing in pain at the horrible cramps in my stomach. I am so not a natural runner. I get cramps and stitches in my side all the freaking time. It's gotten better since I've become more serious about running, but every once in a while I'll do something stupid, like run with half a milkshake in my stomach, or after eating a pound of cherries, and the stitches will come back.

Usually I can run them off, but this one migrated from my right side to the center, then spread to both sides from there. I usually put a hand on the pain and press in, and coordinate my breathing, but I looked really stupid running with both hands on my hips, pinching my fat. Plus it wasn't working. So I gave up.

Once the pain was tolerable, I looked up at SB on the couch and found that she had fallen asleep. What?! That never happens! She never falls asleep on the couch! I guess not getting to ride on the airplane must have really taken something out of her. I brought her upstairs, brushed her teeth, threw her in her pj's and put her to bed a half hour early.

Are you totally on the edge of your seat reading this? I know...exciting stuff.

Then I settled in to watch the season finale of America's Next Top Model. LAME. My girls never wins. Usually my girl comes in second place, but this time she came in 3rd. I don't know why I bother anymore.

So I tossed and turned in bed, getting about 2 hours' worth of sleep total, got up this morning and finished my run. And here I am, waiting for the weekend. Pretty much because the excitement of this week is way too overwhelming for me. I need a break from the crazy.

Is it here yet?

1 comment:

Eludius said...

Did you mean to enter this in your diary and not your blog?