Thursday, April 2, 2009

Taking It Easy

My intentions were to keep all the pregnancy mumbo jumbo to the other blog, but that blog bores me so I'm sticking with this one. Maybe that will change later and I can update the other blog with fun pregnancy stuff like "I peed myself a bit when I sneezed today" and "Wow, my hemorrhoids are really acting up". Then after the baby's born I can have a spit-up ticker to track every time I'm covered in baby puke, and maybe offer prizes for every time I find dried puke under the couch, and have post titles like "My Vag Is Healing Quite Nicely". We'll see.

But I feel like venting about my newest pregnancy obstacle here. As I complained about before, I was recently on my death bed ill. My doctor told me no working out/teaching group exercise classes for a week. So I obeyed, because I was pretty miserable and felt I could use the rest. Despite the fact that doing absolutely no physical activity for a week does NOT constitute keeping the same relaxed diet I've been on since high school starting to try to conceive finding out I was pregnant, I didn't do much to alter my eating habits. Being in the middle of my second trimester, to say I am constantly hungry would be an understatement.

But I was still doing ok. I wasn't going crazy with my eating. But I still find myself feeling more and more like a blob every day. And the most frustrating part is not how I look (although that's frustrating enough in and of itself), it's how I feel. Especially now that my restriction has been lifted and I'm allowed to work out again.

Monday's step class was brutal. I was sweating before even finishing the warm up, and could feel my heart beating in my throat. I ran out in the middle of class (I was team-teaching) to strap on my heart rate monitor, and discovered that I was hanging around 180 bpm.

Not good.

My OB had advised me to keep working out (this was before I was sick) but keep my heart rate under 160 bpm. I tried to tone down my workout as much as possible, but still teach the class. The class ended at noon, and it was a little after 2pm until my heart rate dropped below 100 bpm.

I was a little worried, but not out of my head, since when I was pregnant with SB, my heart rate was 166 at rest. Not that that was good, but everything turned out ok, so I figured I'm not killing the baby or myself. Tuesday night, the heart rate only went up to 170 during class. Better, but not great.

So now I'm terrified that my heart rate is going to remain high and I won't be able to work out hard enough to counteract my uncontrolled eating (which isn't that bad, have I mentioned that?) and I'll keep gaining weight and turn into the Blob and never lose it because it's easier to lose it with one kid running around than with 2 and I'll have to quit my job, because who really wants to get workout advice from the Blob?

No comments: